Whether you live in upstate New York, Long Island or New York City, there are many excellent organizations and charities to donate furniture in New York state.
New York City Furniture Donation Options
There are many charitable organizations in New York City that welcome donations of furniture.
- Throughout New York City a series of upscale thrift shops raise money for homeless women, men and children that are HIV positive. These stores, Housing Works Thrift Shops provide pick up of most furniture items.
- Providing furniture pick up service throughout much of New York state, the Institute of Jewish Humanities, a non profit organization, focuses on the preservation and teaching of Jewish cultural heritage and tradition.
- The Furniture Distribution Program previously mentioned in this list has been discontinued.
Donating Furniture on Long Island and Upstate New York
Upstate New York
- Volunteers of America of Western New York accept furniture donations to sell in their retail stores throughout upstate New York. One of the main functions of this organization is providing meals and shelter to the homeless.
- Located in Pittsford, New York, Saint's Place, working with the Refugee and Immigration Department of the Catholic Family Center, provides assistance for legal immigrants escaping from war-torn countries. Furniture donations are used in setting up apartments for the refugees.
- The Catholic Charities Housing Office of Albany accepts furniture donations to give to people relocating from homeless shelters to their own apartments.
- The Economic Opportunity Council of Suffolk County accepts donations of furniture to distribute to low income families in the community.
- The Big Brother Big Sisters of Long Island schedules pick up service for furniture donations. Some of the items are given to those in need, while most of it is sold at area thrift stores.
Additional Places in New York to Donate Furniture
Many shelters throughout New York City provide service to victims of violence and abuse, the homeless, and the mentally or physically ill rely on furniture donations to charity. Contact shelters in your area through the yellow pages. Also, churches often have outreach programs in need of furniture to give to families in their community. Check local churches in your community to find out if they accept donations of furniture.
Donate Your Gently Used Furniture
Throughout the state there are many places to donate furniture in New York. The next time you have gently used furniture you no longer want, donate it to a local charity instead of throwing it in the trash.