The Oprah Winfrey Foundation, formally known as The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy Foundation, provides support for the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls in South Africa.
About Oprah Winfrey
There are not many people who haven't heard of Oprah Winfrey. Not only is she the queen of daytime TV, but also is a philanthropist. Oprah is considered to be one of the most influential women in the world. She uses her power and resources to help those who are in need. Oprah donates millions of dollars each year to fund charities that are of personal interest to her.
Oprah's Angel Network is a non profit, volunteer organization that inspires others to make a difference in the lives of others. It organizes projects in under-served communities and provides educational initiatives and helps people fulfill basic human needs and regain their dignity. Its focus is on poverty, child neglect and disease.
The Oprah Winfrey Foundation
In addition to the Angel Network, Oprah has focused her energy on creating The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy Foundation. The Foundation was created to operate the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls in South Africa.
The Academy is a free, residential school for academically talented girls in grades 7 through 12. The girls come from disadvantaged families and without the Academy would not have a chance at an education otherwise. Oprah says that "The school will teach girls to be the best human beings they can ever be; it will train them to become decision-makers and leaders; it will be a model school for the rest of the world."
How to Get Involved
The Oprah Winfrey Foundation accepts public, foundation and corporate donations. Oprah, herself, funds the majority of the Academy but there are several ways that you can help. The Foundation's website is set up to receive donations. They accept cash donations that go toward the Foundation's efforts where it is needed most. The cash donation can be a one-time or a recurring donation. Donations can also be made in honor of someone.
Another way to help is by visiting the Foundation's registry. You can choose to donate your money to specific areas where it is needed. There are categories to donate to according to the level you wish to donate. The Foundation, however, does not accept unsolicited donations of goods or in-kind donations.
The Foundation has set up various donation opportunities. You can choose how your donation is spent.
- For $1,250, you can support a girl's education. The donation will be used to provide a girl with everything she needs for a month from room and board to contributing to her textbooks and uniform. For $15,000, you can support a girl for an entire year.
- $100 will supply a girl with a school uniforms, a requirement of most South African schools. For $50, you can help outfit a girl in a gym uniform.
- A $500 donation can provide entire classroom of girls with the textbooks, tools, and learning supplies needed for an entire year.
- Help supply one girl with the full range of educational materials available for $150.
- $10 can provide a girl with all the basic school supplies needed.
Wellness and Creativity
- A donation of $100 can provide a medical check-up for one girl.
- You can help provide an array of musical instruments for all the girls to enjoy with a donation of $100.
- A donation of $30 can be allotted for sports gear including tennis rackets, balls, track and field equipment.
- Contribute $20 to the girls' supplies for drawing, painting, and sculpture.
Be aware that donations do not go directly to girls at the Academy but are sent to The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy Foundation. Your donation selection may be subjected to change but the Foundation will put it toward an area where it is needed most.
Please note that LoveToKnow is not affiliated with the Oprah Winfrey Foundation and cannot pass along requests or messages to them.