Charities that accept automobile donations do so either to resell the cars for a profit or to instead utilize the cars for the charity. Some non-profit organizations will accept cars that need some repair, fix up the cars, and then give them to individuals who may not otherwise be able to afford them.
Some Charities That Accept Automobile Donations
You may be surprised to discover that there is an abundance of charities that accept automobile donations. Here is a brief list of some of the charities that readily accept cars and other motorized vehicles for donation:
- 1-800-Charity Cars: Perhaps one of the most highly publicized charity accepting car donations, this organization utilizes the majority of vehicle donations by reselling them and pumping the profits back into the cause. Some vehicles wind up getting donated directly to individuals and families in need.
- Kars 4 Kids: Vehicle donations to this charity benefit the Joy for Our Youth (J.O.Y) Foundation, a charity designed to serve Jewish youth. This organization accepts cars, motorcycles, boats, and almost all other manners of motorized vehicles.
- Habitat for Humanity: Although this organization is well-known for building houses for needy families, this charity also has a program that allows people to donate cars to be resold and the profits put toward building new homes.
- Car Angel: When donating a car to this organization, people can choose one program to benefit from the sale of the car. This organization also accepts yachts for donation.
- Goodwill: Not all Goodwill centers accept vehicle donations, but the ones that do accept car donations utilize the donations either as transportation for the participants served by the charity or instead sold for profit, which results in funds that are put back into Goodwill programs.
This is not a complete list of charities that accept automobile donations. In fact, you may want to have a look at some of the charities in your local area. Schools, churches, and other non-profit organizations may eagerly accept cars and other vehicles as donations. If a tax deduction is your main motivation for donating your car, be sure that any local charity you consider donating your automobile to has non-profit status and can legally offer you receipt for tax purposes.
Choose a Charity
Which charity should you choose after you make the decision to donate your car? You have many worthy charities to choose from. A good rule of thumb is to contact a charity which you personally endorse and ask if they accept cars as donations. This way you know that the donation goes directly to the charity of your choice, and even if they sell it for profit you know that the value of your car goes toward a cause you believe in.
Using a broker for this transaction may be easier because they provide free towing as well as all the necessary paperwork. The problem with this option, however, is that oftentimes the broker will take a hefty fee from the sale of the vehicle before passing the proceeds along to the charity. For this reason, use caution when utilizing one of these broker services. Ask plenty of questions to make sure that your donation is put to good use instead of being used primarily to fund the broker's fees.
Questions to Ask
Don't just pick a random charity and call them to come pick up your car. Find out how the donation will be used and how it will benefit the organization. Ask questions like:
- Is the car resold, given to a needy family, or is it kept by the charity?
- Is the donation of the car tax-deductible?
- Does the charity handle the towing and documentation associated with this transaction?
Put Your Vehicle to Good Use
No matter whether your car is great shape, average condition or has a few dints and dings, a charity can put it work. Take the time to research the right charity for your vehicle donation. Your car can make difference in someone else's life.