Looking for a list of cancer charities makes it apparent that many people and organizations are dedicated to the causes of fighting this disease and helping those who are coping with or who have survived its effects.
A Partial List of Cancer Charities
With so many different charitable organizations focused on fighting cancer, it would be difficult (if not impossible) to create a truly comprehensive list of these types of organizations. Some of the most well known and active cancer charities include:
- American Cancer Society - This nationwide organization is based in Atlanta, GA and has more than 3,000 offices in communities throughout the United States. The organization is committed to research and development related to cancer prevention and treatment and to providing assistance and to support to individuals living with the disease.
- Cancer Survivor's Fund - This nonprofit organization focuses on helping those who have survived cancer move forward by providing funding to pay for college tuition and prosthetic devices.
- CancerCare.org - This national charitable organization is dedicated to assisting those impacted by cancer through providing various types of support services to patients, family members, and caregivers at no cost.
- Cancer Research Institute - This is the only one of the many organizations on the list of cancer charities dedicated to finding immune based treatments for cancer as well as for prevention and control of the disease.
- Children's Cancer Research Fund - This cancer research charity raises money used to support research efforts at the University of Minnesota focused on finding a cure and improved treatments and prevention techniques for childhood cancer. The organization also provides support services for children affected by cancer and their families, as well as public education and outreach services.
- LIVESTRONG Foundation - This foundation was founded by cancer survivor Lance Armstrong for the purpose of providing education and support to individuals living with cancer, as well as to their loved ones and those charged with their care.
- Lungevity Foundation - This foundation is dedicated to providing funding for research specific to lung cancer, as well as to providing support for those who are living with or who are survivors of lung cancer.
- Next Generation Choices Foundation Less Cancer Campaign - This organization is focused on raising public awareness of the link between environmental factors and cancer, with a mission of helping people recognize risks and reduce their exposure to avoidable environmental carcinogens.
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure - Started by Nancy G. Brinker after the death of her sister, Susan G. Komen, this organization is a worldwide leader in the fight against breast cancer. The organization hosts a number of events, including Walk for the Cure and Marathon for the Cure, designed to increase awareness of breast cancer issues and to raise money to fund research and various assistance programs..
- Vineman Cancer Charities Fund - Associated with the Vineman Triathalon, this fund was started to honor cancer survivor Barbara Recchia. It provides funding for cancer research and support services for cancer patients and survivors. The charity's major fundraiser is Barb's Race, an annual all women's half ironman distance race held in Santa Barbara.
Finding More Cancer Charities
CancerIndex.org can be a helpful tool for locating additional nonprofit organizations focused on cancer research or work with cancer patients.