Are you looking for a list of nonprofit organizations that is organized by interest? Here is a partial list of non-profit organizations categorized according to specific focus areas. While some of the organizations could fall into numerous categories, each organization appears on the list only once and is categorized according to primary area of interest.
Advocacy Groups for Human Rights and Civil Liberties
These charities help people fight for their rights, either through legal advocacy or by providing education, awareness, and funding for human rights initiatives.
- American Civil Liberties Union
- American Jewish World Service
- Americans United
- Amnesty International
- Anti-Defamation League
- Association on American Indian Affairs
- Children's Defense Fund
- Coalition to Stop Gun Violence
- The Carter Center
- Center for Constitutional Rights
- Committee for Missing Children
- Doctors of the World
- Human Rights Watch
- The Center for Victims of Torture
- Committee to Protect Journalists
- Center for Community Change
Animal rights organizations seek to protect animals and their habitats through advocacy, as well as, action-based and educational initiatives.
- African Wildlife Foundation
- American Humane Association
- American Association for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)
- Animal Legal Defense Fund
- Animal Welfare Institute
- Best Friends Animal Society
- Born Free USA
- Defenders of Wildlife
- Doris Day Animal League
- D.E.L.T.A. Rescue
- Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund International
- The Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee
- Farm Sanctuary
- Friends of Animals
- Humane Farming Association
- Humane Society of the United States
- Marine Mammal Center
- National Audubon Society
- Performing Animal Welfare Society (P.A.W.S.)
- Pet Partners
- Wildlife Conservation Society
Land Conservation and the Environment
These charities seek to protect the environment through education and conservation initiatives. Charities in these categories may focus on research, direct action, or political and legal advocacy.
- American Farmland Trust
- American Forests
- American Rivers
- Appalachian Trail Conservancy
- Beyond Pesticides
- Carbon Fund
- Center for Biological Diversity
- Chesapeake Bay Foundation
- Coral Reef Alliance
- Cousteau Society
- Earth Island Institute
- Environmental Defense Fund
- Farm Aid
- Keep America Beautiful
- National Park Foundation
- Ocean Conservancy
- Safina Center
General Emergency Relief
These organizations step in and provide relief during difficult times such as natural disaster and war.
These organizations provide support for people forced to flee their homeland due to war, famine, political unrest, disease, and natural disaster.
These programs provide medical relief and assistance to people who may not otherwise have access to affordable care for financial, social, or geographical reasons. These organizations may also provide emergency medical relief.
Education, Research and Cultural Preservation Groups
These groups have specific missions geared towards improving education, providing more educational opportunities, promoting cultural awareness, or preserving the culture of specific populations.
Health: Research, and Education
These health foundations focus on research about specific illnesses. Many also have an educational component to enlighten people about prevention and management strategies.
- Alliance for Aging Research
- American Heart Association
- American Stroke Association
- Arthritis Research Institute of America
- Avon Foundation
- Breast Cancer Research Foundation
- City of Hope/Beckman Research Institute
- Epilepsy Foundation
- ALS Association
- American Diabetes Association
- Autism Speaks
- Hearing Health Foundation
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
- Lupus Research Institute
- Brain and Behavior Research Foundation
- First Candle
- March of Dimes
Support for Chronic Illnesses and Diseases
These organizations provide financial, emotional, or medical support for people with chronic illnesses and their loved ones.
- Alzheimer's Association
- American Kidney Fund
- American Leprosy Missions
- American Liver Foundation
- American Lung Association
- American Parkinson Disease Association
- Arthritis Foundation
- Bailey House
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- Easter Seals
- Huntington's Disease Society of America
- Project Sunshine
- The Sunshine Kids
Cancer Support and Research
These cancer charities provide research and support for people with cancer and their loved ones. Support may include education and emotional support.
- American Brain Tumor Association
- American Cancer Society
- Cancer and Careers
- Cancer Recovery Foundation
- Cancer Research Institute
- St Jude's Children's Research Hospital
- Children's Cancer and Blood Foundation
- National Children's Cancer Society
- Children's Cancer Research Fund
- Jimmy Fund (Dana-Farber Cancer Institute)
Support for Physical and Cognitive Disabilities
These charities provide financial support, education, and research for people with physical and mental disabilities, as well as their families.
These organizations help the economically disadvantaged around the world with an array of programs such as education, advocacy, health care, housing, and anti-hunger programs.
Feeding the Hungry
These charities fight hunger around the world by providing food, clean water, and funding.
Promoting Self Sufficiency
These charities help people help themselves through education, micro loans, and similar initiatives.
These charities help children around the world who live in poverty by providing food, medicine, and education.
These charities provide advocacy, education, and research for senior citizens.
Supporting Military and Veterans
These charities provide support services for those who serve our country, as well as their families. Services may include financial assistance, mental health care, and veterans services.
Supporting Fire Fighters and Police
These organizations provide advocacy and support for the civil servants who keep us safe.
These organizations make sure public organizations like the government and the media are operating appropriately and with honesty and integrity.
Children and Youth
These charities support youth in a variety of ways, from providing constructive youth activities to advocating for children's rights.
Women around the world face unique issues such as discrimination, domestic violence, and human trafficking. These charities support various women's initiatives.
Finding a Complete List of Nonprofit Organizations
The above list is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the charities that are out there. There are several more places that you can look online:
- The definitive list for who is under the 501(c)(3) and (c)(4) tax code can be found at the IRS.
- Charity Navigator is a charity watchdog group that helps people get the most charity for their dollar. Charity Navigator can help you make wise charitable investments because it provides ratings for charities based on use of funds and other factors.
- The Foundation Center has everything you could ever want to know about grant making foundations and nonprofits.
- Another place to look for charities is the Better Business Bureau which lists all nonprofits that meet their criteria. However, it is not a definitive listing of charities but rather a place to go to look up information about a charity.
To find the best charity for you, search by interest to help sort through the thousands of charities out there.