The Purple Heart Charity is a sub-section of the Military Order of the Purple Heart. This charity is set up to assist those who have received the Purple Heart medal in the past. Even if you aren't a part of the actual organization, serving to get the veterans and their families the benefits they deserve, you can do your part here by donating clothing, furniture, cars, household appliances, or money.
What the Purple Heart Medal Is
The Purple Heart Medal is a medal of honor given to those members of the military who were wounded in combat. If that member of the military dies at the hands of the enemy, the award is then given to his or her relatives. PurpleHeart.org explains it as being, "awarded to members of the armed forces of the U.S. who are wounded by an instrument of war in the hands of the enemy."
About the Purple Heart Charity
The Purple Heart Charity is an organization created to help veterans and their families-not just those who earned the Purple Heart medal. While part of this charity includes processing claims for benefits, finding and assisting homeless veterans, and helping those with disabilities, there are some programs everyone can easily participate in:
- Clothing and furniture donations (they pick it up for you, so it's no hassle! Simply call and schedule a convenient time)
- Cell Phones for Soldiers is an organization where you can donate your old cell phones to be recycled. For each phone, the organization gets a certain dollar amount to put toward calling cards for military members overseas.
- Car donations (select locations)
Purple Heart Pickup Service
You can visit the list of phone numbers to request a pickup when you have clothing, furniture, cars, small household items, and so on, that you would like to donate. Please note that some locations do not accept anything larger than "small furniture and household appliances," so they won't be able to take your car, truck, or motorcycle.
Purple Heart Car Donation
For more information on how to donate your car, visit the Purple Heart Car Donation page. You can provide all necessary information online, making it possible for the organization to send a tow truck to pick it up. You don't even have to be home for them to take the car away. Simply leave your keys and the title in a specified place in the car and the towing company will leave you a receipt to say that they picked up the car. Later, you'll get a charitable donation receipt in the mail from the Purple Heart organization.
- PurpleHeart.org is the main site for everything you ever wanted to know about the Purple Heart. From there, you can learn more about the programs, the history of the medal, and more.
- PurpleHeartCars.org is the place to start if you wish to donate a car to the Purple Heart charity.
- PurpleHeartFoundation.org takes you to the donation page if you just wish to donate money to the organization. You can make them in honor or memory of a loved one. If you look over to the left side of the page here, you will see other donation options, including information on how to make mail, telephone, and online donations. You can even find information about donating stocks or planned gifts.
Help For All
The Purple Heart organization is not just for wounded veterans and their families; it's for all veterans. If you are a veteran in need of assistance, contact them through one of the sites above. If you'd like to do something to help out this cause, you should also consider making a donation of clothing, furniture, car, boat, plane, motorcycle, or money.