Toys for Tots serves families in need by giving new toys to children during the holidays with the hope that this act will help empower kids to see beyond their circumstances. In essence, through the delivery of new Christmas toys where there might not be any otherwise, Toys for Tots seeks to contribute to breaking the cycle of poverty.
How to Sign a Family Up for Toys for Tots
There is no specific criterion to sign a family up for Toys for Tots per se. However, there is no guarantee that every family signed up will receive gifts through the program. Which families are selected to get toys depends on each individual local campaign center, how many toys that campaign center has, and the various families who have been presented as possible candidates to receive toys. You can sign a family up to be considered by following these simple steps:
- Go to the Toys for Tots website.
- Click on the Request Toys link at the top of the page.
- From here you will be directed to a drop down menu. Select your state and county (or rather the state and country that the potential recipient lives in).
- Once you have a selected a state and county, you will be presented with a name of the person in charge of the local campaign center, along with a link. Click on this link and provide the requested information. This will generally include:
- Your name and the family's name.
- Proof of residency
- A brief opportunity to explain why that family needs to receive a Toys for Tots Christmas present.
- Other possible identifying information.
Identifying a Family That Could Benefit From Toys for Tots
Toys for Tots works with a variety of organizations that help identify needy children. These local organizations include local church organizations and other faith based organizations, social services organizations, or any other organization or individual that is in the position to identify a family who could use a little extra Christmas hope. Ways that families are identified include:
- Parents requesting toys for their children
- Social workers requesting toys on behalf of their case families
- Food stamp workers or Food Shares workers requesting food for families
- Religious clergy can request toys for families that they are aware have a need
- Other adults such as friends, teachers, or neighbors can request toys for a family that they are aware of needing help
In general, worthy families that are unable to buy Christmas presents for their own children due to financial hardship are eligible for Toys for Tots.
Other Helpful Information Regarding Toys for Tots
Aside from simply suggesting a family, there are other ways to get involved with Toys for Tots. Below is some helpful information for contacting, donating and answering further questions.
To Donate to Toys for Tots
There are several ways in which you can donate to Toys for Tots. Often, around Christmastime, you will see tables set up in the mall where you can simply drop off a purchase. In addition:
- You can give money online. (If you do this, check to see if your company has a matching gift program.)
- Find a local toy drop off point.
You can reach the organization directly through the following methods:
Phone: (703) 640-9433
Fax: (703) 649-2054
Marine Toys for Tots Foundation
18251 Quantico Gateway Dr
Triangle, VA 22172
Make the Holidays Joyful
If you want to help contribute to this wonderful organization but don't have the money to donate, you can still make a world of difference. Try spreading the word to families in need in your community so that local kids can have the Christmas they deserve. Also, spread the word by sharing links to the organization on social media and posting photos of time spent volunteering with Toys for Tots. By helping get the word out about this helpful organization, you can empower them to help even more children in need.